The Quirky Game of Dodgeball
Dodgeball is a more controversial game than any unhealthy food commercial on television. Since long, controversies surround the effectiveness of the sport. The game provides an overall fitness of the body, thereby, promoting flexibility and alertness. Dodgeball is not really a â€œ
â€ type of game which is to say that there is just one simple rule â€“ to stick to your side and hit people in the other team with a rubber ball or basketball. If anyone gets hit, he or she is out and if one catches the ball, then the person who threw the ball gets out.
Health Benefits of Playing Dodgeball
A ridiculous game, ainâ€™t it? But experts opine that the dodge ball can have numerous health benefits some of which are listed below:
- Provides an overall workout for the body, thereby, conditioning and improving the flexibility of joints, muscles, etc
- Dodging the ball can give you cardio benefits say experts like â€“ strengthening the legs and arms muscles
- Throwing the ball or jumping to escape the ball can also increase muscle endurance
- Han-eye coordination increases when people try catching the ball or try to avoid the ball
Pitfalls of Playing Dodgeball
Though a healthy sport if played in the right spirit, the game of Dodgeball is telling the wrong story. Numerous cases involved with the game of Dodgeball suggest that it could lead to the act of â€œ
â€. In fact, it is also reported that some teachers purposely encourage the game for the strong kids to pick on the weaker ones and make them look like losers.
Many schools, for instance in New York and New Jersey, have completely eliminated the sport from their schools or from their extra-curricular activities, whereas in some schools where the game is acceptable, the ball is not allowed to rise above the shoulders of the kids and/or players playing the game.
How to Combat Bullies?
Experts give some feasible ways to tackle bullies while playing the dodgeball:
- Ignore bullies because they survive on attention
- Use fear to stand up against them
- Speak the problem out with friends, parents and teachers
- Try winning friends with love
- Love yourself
Some Interesting Facts about Dodgeball
Listed below are some interesting facts about the Dodgeball game:
- Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story, a 2004 flick starring Ben Stiller poked fun at the game of dodgeball
- Dodgeball is no more a kiddy game. Many colleges have adopted the game as a interesting club sport where dodgeball tournaments are held
- The dodgeball game is played in various ways today like â€“ the war ball, prison ball and chain ball
- The game of dodgeball is very popular in Japan where it is encouraged daily in schools
- International Dodge Ball Federation is one of the largest and the most organized dodgeball leagues in the world
What say? Are you on your way to hit someone or be hit by someone in a game of dodgeball that guarantees good health and fitness? Ensure that as adults in college or as kids in school, the game is played in the right spirit or else you really have a choice to make your kids quit or not.
After all, itâ€™s the bullies that need to be stood up against and not the game. Running away would be cowardice. So, teach your kids to fight their own battles and to stand up against injustice especially when it comes at the cost of giving up a healthy sport like Dodgeball.
Since sports form a very integral part in the fitness regime of a kid, it is good to encourage sports among children at school. Besides dodgeball, some other sports can also be encouraged by the parents and the schools. Some healthy sports for healthy life for kids are:
- Table tennis
These sports will teach the kids to be focused and alert. The team spirit, healthy competition and fair play will be inculcated in the children. Team games are always better than the individual sports as the kids do learn a great deal from them.