Abdominal strength training exercises are essential for maintaining abdomen fitness and health. The bicycle, ball crunch and captain’s chair exercises are considered to be the best abdominal exercises. Discover how you can benefit from the same by reading the article below.
Abdominal strength training exercises do not only lend strength and endurance to the abdominal muscles but also help in toning them. Due to the increasing demand and popularity of industries like health and fashion people are according maximum importance to fitness programs.
Types of Abdominal Strength Training Exercises
Some exercises that can help reduce abdomen fat and increase abdominal muscle strength include the following:
- The Bicycle Exercise
- The Captain’s Chair
- The Ball Crunch Exercise
- The Basic Crunch Exercise
- The Reverse Crunch
- The Leg Lowering Exercise
- The Half Curl Exercise
- Oblique Crunches
- Seated Oblique Twists
- Weighted Curls
- Weighted Oblique Crunches
The first three are considered to be the best and most effective for abdominal fitness and strength. Let us discover the techniques of performing the three major exercises needed for improving abdominal strength, endurance and shape.
The Bicycle Exercise
Most people hurry while doing this exercise which can strain the back and the stomach. Ensure that you progress slowly while performing the exercise. The following technique is recommended for pursuing the bicycle exercise:
- Lie down flat on the ground with your hands on the sides of your body.
- Lift one leg to 90 degrees from the ground.
- Bring the leg gradually down just to hold for few seconds when it is just above the ground.
- Finally, relax by bringing your leg down to normal position.
- Repeat by bringing the other leg up to 90 degrees now.
Inhale and exhale according to your own comfort levels while performing the bicycle exercise.
The Captain’s Chair Exercise
This is an exercise that requires gym equipment. Start by making yourself comfortable on the seat by dangling your legs. Then gradually lift your knees towards your chest. Finally, lower them back to the initial position slowly.
The Ball Crunch Exercise
You would need to follow the correct technique for doing this kind of exercise. The technique recommended by experts is described below:
- Sit on the ball with your legs as apart as the width of your hips.
- Gently start moving your lower back down flat on the ball.
- Your torso and thighs should be parallel to the ground.
- Then lift your torso at an angle of 45 degrees.
- Pause for a second and then return to the original position.
Inhale while lowering your back and exhale when you are going back to the original position.
Abdominal fitness exercises would require continuous breathing in and breathing out while performing them. Also be very cautious about performing the exercises slowly as hurried performance can lead to possible injuries or discomfort.