Aerobics, also known as the aerobic dance is a common craze among most people today. It is one of the best ways to enjoy a fitness program and also a way to achieve better health. Find opportunities to do the ‘health jig’ either by yourself or under the guidance of an instructor by reading the article below.
The aerobic dance is a feet tapping exercise that is accompanied with musical beats and the signals of an instructor. Aerobic dancing also induces fast breathing for a long period of time by pumping more oxygen into the bloodstream. Also known as “aerobics”, the aerobic dance can be done with hip hop or country folk music.
Types of Aerobic Dance
Aerobic exercises can be divided into the following types:
- High Impact Exercises: This involves a great deal of jumping action that is done in accordance with the beats or rhythm of the music being played.
- Low Impact Exercises: This type includes less action but feet stepping exercises that move with the rhythm and beats of the music.
- Step Aerobics: These exercises are done on a raised platform with progressive step movements.
- Water Aerobics: Such exercises are usually done in waist-deep water. The exercises are low in intensity and require certain amount of swimming abilities.
What is an ideal aerobic dance workout?
For effective results, aerobic dancing should be performed for 20-30 minutes and at least thrice per week. An effective aerobic dance lesson is of the following nature:
- Warm-ups: Warm up exercises are absolutely essential before starting any training session. 10-15 minutes of stretching and flexibility exercises prevent the scope for injury and also prepares the body for further movement and exertion.
- High Impact Exercises: Start with high impact exercises that should last for 20-30 minutes. Start slow but it should be done for a long period of time and should be able to induce fast breathing.
- Relax: Then relax for 5-10 minutes. This will help your heart and muscles to calm down for some time.
Benefits of Aerobic Dance
The benefits of aerobic dance are listed here below:
- Helps in shedding the extra weight
- Strengthens and tones the muscles
- Enhances heart and lungs efficiency
- Increases the circulation of blood
- Lowers the cholesterol levels
- Reduces stress and depression
What does a typical aerobic dance step segment comprise of?
The first segment of the aerobic dance is performed in 4 or 8 counts. It is then followed with an additional segment of 4 or 8 counts. Finally, the steps should add up to 32 or 64 counts each.
Eventually, feet movements are accompanied with arm movement as well. The arms are used to increase the heart rate. All you need to do is carefully follow the signals of the instructor with ease and comfort.
How can you perform aerobic dance at home?
You can personalize aerobic dancing by learning to do some steps at home itself. Choose a music of your choice that can range from disco, jazz or hip hop. Always start with warm up exercises that may include stretch or flexibility exercises that last for 10-15 minutes.
Warm ups should be followed with simple and easy moves, like jogging or doing the jumping jack exercise. Keep a record of the exercises and the duration of the exercise you have already done. Look out for new steps and exercises on televisions or consult a trainer who can help you derive innovative steps. Set challenges for yourself and try achieving them.
Aerobic activities, like aerobic dancing, increase the levels of oxygen into the heart, lungs and blood vessels for smooth functioning. So, try engaging in as much activity as you can to live a longer and healthier life.
Tips for aerobics
Since aerobics dance are very beneficial for the body, some tips for aerobics should be followed to get positive results. A few tips for aerobics are:
- Start the aerobics session with a warm-up session.
- Wear clothes which are comfortable and breathable.
- The temperature of the room should be maintained.
- Watch the aerobics exercise video before starting the program.
- The aerobics program should be according to your comfort level.
- Stop the exercise in case of an injury or muscle pull.
- Consult a health care professional before starting the aerobics exercise.
- Listening to a peppy number while exercise will keep your spirits high.
- Don’t forget to cool down after the exercise.