Swimming is considered to be one of the most pleasurable activities related with health. If you are considering to take swimming classes then definitely it is a good preference. People of all age groups can perform because of its low impact. It is more of fun than challenge. It is one of the simplest form of low impact aerobic exercise and hence ideal for those who want to avoid high impact vigorous workouts like running or jogging.
Benefits of Swimming-
Buoyancy keeps the body floating and improves streamlining. Swimming offers a Total cardiovascular body workout. It is important to discuss and consult a doctor before starting any routine or exercise. Always start slowly and steadily. Swimming if combined with a well balanced diet can help remarkably to lose weight. In fact, people who are obese and carry extra weight can opt for swimming as exercise routine. A regular visit for 3-4 times a week is enough to reduce the risk of heart related problems, diabetes etc. it not only controls cholesterol but lowers blood pressure too. Swimming leads to well rounded fitted program. It incorporates less damage to joints and tendons than other more physically torturing fitness programs.
– Always buy the durable and comfortable one. They are available in various styles to suit different needs. One made with nylon, lycra and polyester lasts long and resist fading.
– They are eye protection gear and facilitate to see underwater too. Buy one that is snug and comfortable.
– It can be used to perform various activities in water. It enhances fitness routine by kicking exercises.
Paddles, gloves and fins
– These accessories increase natural resistance and increases strength and endurance. Technique is improved and fins help to tone and strength legs.
Snorkel and pull buoy
are other popular equipments.
- Freestyle includes all techniques needed for swimming. It is the fastest and common stroke.
- Breaststroke is to warm up and cool down with less taxing on body.
- Butterfly the most difficult stroke.
- Backstroke, the focus is on leg propulsion.
- Sidestroke, offers recreational movement for Varity. Also known as safety stroke.
Where to Swim?
Community pools, recreation clubs, schools, universities, YMCA, community centers and fitness clubs have them. Before joining one, choose the one with best facility in terms of cleanliness, size of pool, regulation in water and air temperature, hours of operation, other facilities like locker and most important a good instructor.
Â Technique and swimming are correlated.Â Seek the help of a coach to refine your technique. Various techniques are lane technique, synchronized technique etc.
Tips on Swimming-
- Take it easy. For beginners, start swimming for 30 secs and resting for 30 secs. Repeat this ten times. Next step is with kicking.
- Variation in length of swimming, kicking, different strokes, adds Varity to routine.
- Keep a watch on clock to improve timing and speed.
- Keep a schedule and follow it diligently. Beginners can start with 2-3 times a week with gradual progression.
- Take enough rest to catch breath in between repeats.
- Swim comfortably. Do not compete with others unless it is for competition.
- Set the 10 % rule and maintain it by increasing weekly distance only by 10 % and not more than it.
- Set realistic goals that is attainable and have fun.