Upper body strength training exercises target the large muscle groups located in the upper part of the body. The exercises, therefore, aim at strengthening the chest, biceps, back, triceps and the shoulder muscles. Discover the benefits of upper body strength training by taking a peep into the article below.
Strength training aims to increase the strength, endurance of muscles by applying an unaccustomed force against the muscles. Experts are of the opinion that upper body strength training exercises enhance the strength of muscles, joints and bones for better movement and flexibility.
The essential criteria to be implemented for performing strength training exercises for the upper body are correct performance and minimum risk. Effective strength training for the upper or lower body, therefore, highlights ‘how’ and ‘why’ exercises are essential for maintaining high fitness levels.
Benefits of Upper Body Strength Training Exercises
The benefits of performing upper body strength training exercises are listed here below:
- Upper body strength training improves the strength of muscles
- Improves flexibility
- Leads to improved cardiovascular health
- Improves performance by strengthening the shoulders and the arms
- Reduces the risk of injuries
- The key to an attractive and healthy outlook and appearance
- Cyclists, runners and athletes benefit in terms of increased and sustained performance, fitness, endurance and stamina
- Prevents the idea of purchasing expensive equipments like the treadmill for exercising
- Many upper body strength training exercises are accessible to people using the wheelchair
- Results in significant cross training benefits that balance the major muscle groups
Types of Upper Body Strength Training Exercises
Upper body strength training exercises target five major parts of the upper body, namely, the chest, shoulders, triceps, biceps and the back.The different types of exercises that are helpful for strengthening the upper body are listed below:
Exercises for the Chest
Different types of strength training for the chest are listed below:
- Barbell Bench Presses
- Barbell Incline Presses
- Dumbbell Bench Presses
Exercises for the Shoulders
Different types of strength training for the shoulders are listed below:
- Seated Dumbbell Presses
- Front Raises
- Lateral Raises
Exercises for the Biceps
Different types of strength training for the biceps are listed below:
- Alternate Dumbbell Curls
- Concentration Curls
- Hammer Curls
Exercises for the Triceps
Exercises for the triceps are listed below:
- Seated Triceps Presses
- Lying Triceps Presses
- Cable Extensions
Exercises for the Back
Some common strength training exercises for the back are listed below:
- Pull ups
- Seated Cable Rows
- Back Extensions
- Straight Arm Pulldowns
The pullover exercise and push ups are other upper body strength training exercises for maintaining the fitness of the upper body.
Golf: An Effective Upper Body Strength Training Exercise
Golf is considered to be an effective upper body strength training exercise. With one swing of the arm, the exercise aims at improving the efficiency of four large muscle groups, namely, the chest, lats, triceps and the mid-scapular muscles.
Benefits of Golf:
The benefit of this upper body strength training exercise or now sport is listed below:
- Strengthens the back
- Improves performance and drive to achieve more
- Reduces the possible handicaps
- Reduces injuries
is one exercise that produces the results of that golf seeks to achieve. It is being included in many revolutionary fitness programs to increase the strength of the upper body.
Tips to Start Upper Body Strength Training
These instructions are necessary before engaging in upper body strength training:
- Consult a physician about your fitness levels and safety and suitability of engaging in upper body strength training exercises
- Use safe and effective machines for strength training the upper body parts
- Concentrate on correct performance
- Use weights that are not too light or heavy
- Gradually increase the intensity and pace
- Start with 2-4 sets with 10-15 repetitions each
- Rest in between exercises and sets
- Avoid flinging your arms in an uncontrolled motion
- Use active stretches rather than passive ones for strengthening the shoulders and arms
- Do controlled movements
- Exhale on every exertion
- Maintain the correct posture to avoid back stress
Consult a doctor and start training your upper body through effective and safe strength training exercises and equipments. Do not forget that a healthy and fit body helps achieve better results. So, a nutritious diet and plenty of fluids is absolutely essential for reaching the goals of upper body strength training.
Upper body strength can also be build by push-ups. For many push-ups might seem boring but you can add variety to them in the following ways:
You need to extend the hands beyond the shoulder width rather than the shoulder width. The exercise wok on the chest muscles.
The thumbs and the index fingers should be together to form the diamond shape, while doing push-ups. This improves the triceps.
Fist Push-ups: Form a fist with your hands while doing push-ups. This greatly improves the effectiveness of the workouts.
Feet should be placed on a platform to make head lower than the feet. This works well for the chest muscles.
This is the opposite of decline push-ups. The head is placed higher than the feet. This increases the efficacy of the workout.
So, get up and try push-ups to get a toned body . This will prove effective for the upper body strength training exercises.