Aqua aerobics is a trendy way of keeping body in shape. People with chronic injuries and problems can also participate and workout. It has the potential to attract and appeal to more range of people, making it a well enjoyable exercising class. Aquatic exercise improves cardiovascular fitness and strength in muscle and develops endurance. The physical properties of water makes it possible by creating virtual support in water.
This kind of workouts include a wide assortment of dance steps in water put together with rhythmic movements. Varity of programs from basic for beginners to advanced for skilled ones are offered. It can be performed with or without music, but the presence of an able fitness instructor is imperative. A typical session last for 40-50 min, with warm up, cool-down, and stretching exercises.Â Use of equipments like noodles, woggles, kick boards and buoys etc assists in exercising. People of all ages can workout in water. The buoyancy exerted by water supports the axial load and helps in building strength and flexibility. Less stress is felt on feet and joints making it popular among persons with medical conditions as arthritis, obesity, neck and back pain etc. It is therapeutic and hence is used for treating varity of ailments. On an average a normal person can burn as good as 500 to 700 calories in a session. Some of the gears and equipments that make aerobics interesting are aqua blocks, flotation belts, gloves and flippers, kickboards, aqua step, gyro joggers, woggles, pull buoys, noodles etc.
Benefits of Water Exercises-
- Large amount of calorie is burned during workout.
- The delightful experience gained from working in water helps to release anxiety and strain.
- The virtual support assisted by water makes exercising relatively much easier inside water.
- For general fitness one does not require any particular equipment. Although an array of equipments can be used for assistance, improvement in fitness and program or merely for pleasure and delight.Â
- Chances of injuries are lowered and a gentle massaging effect is experienced that enhances blood circulation too.
- The natural resistance offered by water leads to better muscle endurance and toning.
- The heart rate is maintained at a comparatively lower level than in outer workout like jogging and cycling. The body temperature is also maintained.
- It is one of the popular sport to bring families and friends together, as people of all age groups love to refresh and get pleasure from any water activity.
Disadvantages and Precautions-
- As most of the houses do not have a pool facility, the other options available are in community centers, YMCA, schools, recreation clubs etc.
- It is essential to check facilities in terms of cleanliness and hygiene, size of pool, locker facility etc, before joining one.
- Seek advice from your physician before enrolling for a program. Pre-existing health conditions, injuries and other factors can affect oneâ€™s capability to take part in the course.
- The presence of an able instructor is mandatory. Swimming alone is prohibited.
- Application of water resistant sunscreen is recommended while exercising in the sun.