People all over the world are swept with the latest mantra for health in form of yoga. Yoga studios are springing up like mushrooms in every corners of the globe. People are embracing yoga in their day-to-day life for exercise, relaxation, for better breathing technique and to stay away from any surgical, medicinal relief. Yoga develops and improves balance, flexibility, strength and fortitude. However if practiced incorrectly it can cause muscle sprain, torn ligaments and other severe injuries. With the popularity in yoga there has been an augmented growth in yoga related injuries.
Â To minimize injuries related with yoga certain precaution has to be taken: –
- It is always suggested to talk to your doctor before starting yoga classes if you have any medical conditions and injuries.
- Start your sessions with a well-qualified and trained yoga instructor. Do not hesitate to inquire about their knowledge and qualifications.
- A general warm up session is advised to avoid any injuries. The body is still raw and not flexible enough for extensive stretching and muscle bending exercises as cold muscles, tendons and ligaments are vulnerable.
- A beginner should start slowly with the basics. Videotapes are another way of learning but in the absence of the guidance of instructor chances are that you may end doing yoga in faulty manner.
- Do not pressurize yourself to compete with your instructor or anyone else. You may hurt yourself. Try to attain full pose gently and concentrate on breathing.
- Set your own inimitable target, and work for it. Do not persuade yourself to the extreme limits. Do not try positions that are beyond your comfort level.
- If there is any kind of pain in part of body, back off. Variations in exercises are always welcome to avoid boredom from repeated schedule of yoga.
- Ask your instructor for explanation if you are uncertain about a position or asana. Inform your medical condition, injuries and limitations if any, before the class.
- It is important to know what type of yoga are you learning. There are various strenuous forms of yoga. A good research always comes in handy, prior to any class.
- Hydrate body by sufficient intake of fluids.
- Proper Alignment reduces stress; muscles and ligaments are strengthened from both the sides. The posture is benefited and it creates a balance.
- Props, blocks, straps, bolsters and blankets facilitates stretching. They help individuals to explore the uniqueness of their own bodies by teaching and encouraging the accurate use of props.
- Intense and dynamic styles like â€œhot yogaâ€ and â€œpower yogaâ€ has to done with dexterity.
Inexperienced teachers may cause harm. A well-trained instructor has in depth information of human anatomy, asana, history and ideology of yoga. It is good to have awareness of yoga, practice and injuries associated with it. For safe enjoyable yoga classes and experiences arm yourself with yoga injury â€“prevention guidelines.